We're excited to share another Baking with L.O.V.E.S. recipe! We know some of our followers are vegan, so here is our vegan friendly recipe for gingerbread cookies. This recipe is adapted from a family heirloom recipe book.
INGREDIENTS: (makes 3 gingerbread cottage templates)
3-1/2 Cups Flour
2 Teaspoons Cinnamon
1/2 Teaspoon Ginger
1/4 Teaspoon Salt
3/4 Cups Corn Syrup (Dark or Light)
2/3 Cup Packed Brown Sugar
1/2 Cup Butter or Margarine or Earth Balance
Preheat over to 350ºF.
Stir dry ingredients (flour, cinnamon, ginger, salt) into a large mixing bowl.
3. Combine corn syrup, butter or margarine or Earth Balance, and brown sugar in a medium saucepan. Stir continuously over medium heat until the butter or margarine is melted.
4. Stir the liquid from the saucepan into the dry mixture. Dough will become thick and stiff.
5. Carefully (the liquid was hot, remember) shape the dough into a ball (if it is too hot, chill until it can be handled).
6. On parchment paper, roll the dough out to no more than 1/4" thickness.
7. Using cookie cutters (or the gingerbread house templates provided below) cut out the shapes for the house
8. Bake the cookies for 8-12 minutes depending on thickness. Cookies will be soft coming out of the oven.
9. Cool cookies on a wire rack until ready to use!
We hope you make some fun gingerbread houses! If you would like to follow along on our decorating journey, you can click over to this Facebook Live video we hosted. We would love to see your gingerbread creations! Tag us @lovesoutrdooreducation on your Instagram or Facebook posts, or send the pictures straight to us.
Until next time,
L.O.V.E.S. Outdoor Education